Thursday, April 3, 2014

Oat and Chia Seed Pancakes (V/GF)


Hey there friends! I know it has been a little while and I am very sorry for my absence, however, I think I am about to make that up to you. If you know me at all, you probably know I like to experiment in the kitchen. Sometimes these experiments come out horrible (you may recall the brown sugar frosting incident) but sometimes they are surprisingly awesome! I believe that today's experiment falls in the second category, but I'll let you decide for yourself. 

I was craving something healthier and more filling for breakfast so I came up with this oat and chia seed pancake recipe, which happens to also be gluten free and vegan! It is also SUPER filling. I started with this awesome recipe by The Food Prepper as a base, and then tweaked a whole bunch of things. I really love using chia seeds in everything possible because they are filling and packed with healthy omega-3 fatty acids. I have also been substituting coconut sugar for regular sugar in a lot of my recipes because of its lower glycemic index. At first glance this recipe may look a little intimidating, but fear not, its super easy and took me all of ten mins! Here it goes:

Ingredients: 

Pancakes:

1 3/4 cup oat flour
1 tsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup coconut or rice milk (vanilla would be delish) or regular milk (non-vegan)
1 1/2 tbsp of applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
2 “Chia eggs” (super easy, see directions below)

Chia Eggs:

2 tbsp of ground chia seeds
6 tbsp of water

You can also add chocolate chips, nuts, berries or anything else to the mix!




Once you gather all of your ingredients, the rest is pretty simple. 

  1. Pre-heat griddle
  2. Prepare “chia eggs” by mixing chia seeds and water thoroughly and let sit for 5 mins until egg-like consistency
  3. Mix all remaining dry ingredients together in a medium bowl
  4. Mix remaining wet ingredients together in a larger bowl (including pre-made chia eggs)
  5. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
  6. Lightly spray griddle
  7. Scoop about ¼ of a cup of mix for each pancake and cook until golden on both sides (make sure to spread fairly thin or they will take forever to cook, through!) Regardless, they will be a bit more moist than a “normal” pancake
  8. Enjoy with some pure maple syrup!
You can get the printable version of the recipe here





I also recommend pairing these with a good cup of fair trade/organic coffee. I picked up a bag of Lucy Jo's Coffee Roastery "Bounce" Ethiopian Blend when I was at the Farmer's Market at home and I am SO sad that I am almost out. It is seriously yummy, give it a try and I promise you won't regret it! Its always great to support a local business : )



Let me know your thoughts on the recipe or how it turns out for you! I would also love to hear about any yummy things you came up with to mix in! 

P.S. I think these would freeze really nicely for breakfast on the go and they are super filling to get you through the day!

Until next time,
Namaste! xoxox



2 comments:

  1. Update: these are so good reheated in the toaster and with some peanut butter on top : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayyyyyy cant wait to try them

    ReplyDelete